Saturday, April 17, 2010

Top Ten Books Everyone should read at least once.

Random Ramblings is holding a weekly meme titled "Top 10 _ books". This week it's Top Ten Books Everyone should read at least once. I heard about it on WORD for Teens and decided that I had to do it! So here you go, ladies and gentleman, the Top Ten Books Everyone should read at least once (in no particular order)

~1~
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThis is the classic "coming-of age" novel. I grew up watching the movie and reading the kid's version of the book. And last year, as I was pruning my bookshelfs, I found my copy, and realized... I'd never read the actual book! Scandalous! But, once I started reading the book, I couldn't put it down! I LOVED IT!

~2~
The Harry Potter series by JK RowlingHarry Potter... there... are no words to describe the awesomeness that is... Harry Potter. This isn't only just a series for kids (though it was intended to be), teens and adults alike can read it and love it. There's action, romance (in the later books), mystery, fantasy... everything that makes a series awesome! I feel bad for every other children's writer... they have to try to live up to Harry Potter....

~3~
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BronteWhen I was ten-ish, my best friend, the Other Katie got the abridged kid version of this book. I borrowed it, fell in love and begged my mom to buy me the same version. It became my favorite book. You can imagine adults' faces when I told them my favorite book was "Jane Eyre"! The story intrigued me. I watched the movie when I was twelve-ish. And when I was thirteen,I decided it was time to go to the library and get the original version. My mom warned me it would be different... harder to read. I finished the book in a week. I loved it! I didn't think it was hard to read! I liked it more than the kids' version. And to this day, six years after first falling in love with the book and characters, it is still one of my favorite books.

~4~
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenMy discovery of this story is similar to my story of finding and falling in love with Jane Eyre. My mom bought me the kids' version, but I didn't really like it. When the movie with Keira Knightley came out, my friend and I decided we HAD to see it. Our moms made this rule that if we wanted to see the movie, we had to read the book first. So, we did. I LOVED it. She didn't. We got to see the movie. I liked the book better, but she loved the movie more. I recently bought the "teen-ified" version (the cover above). I can't wait to read it again!

~5~
The Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls WilderI grew up LOVING these books. Recently, I reread them, and once again, I love them! They're such sweet stories and can be enjoyed by anyone at any age.

~6~
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe classic Christmas story... that can be read at any time! It's a great quick read, and it makes you feel smarter, too. I mean, it's Dickens! Smart people read Dickens.

~7~
The Screwtape Letters by CS LewisOnce again, another classic that just happens to be a quick read! Screwtape's letters to his nephew are fascinating, and seeing the theory of how devils try to corrupt people is terrifying, yet once again fascinating.

~8~
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
Many of my friends growing up were reading these books. However, I was too busy with my nose buried in Harry Potter and Nancy Drew to ever be interested. It wasn't until I was fourteen I picked up the book, and once again, fell in love. Anne reminded me so much of myself, and it's not very often that you come along a book that's labeled a classic and has such blunt humor.

~9~
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
My cousin gave me this book to read when I was eight. This was one of my (consistent) favorite books growing up. And, honestly, it's still one of my alltime favorites.

~10~
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgens Burnett
Yet another children's classic that I didn't read until I was a teenager. I watched the movies growing up, and I knew the general story, but I never actually read the book until I was fourteen. It's such a great book!

1 comment:

Mike G. said...

My list would have more SF books, of course, but that's a pretty good set!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...